A very famous quote is “A Family, Rides together Stays Together”. Bike riding together with the family makes bond stronger. Bike riding makes exercise easy and enjoyable activity for all. It’s good to spend your energy and time in a right way to teach your kids how to start pedaling on different roads.
Always Have A Goal
A point to kept in mind is that, every ride has its end. Each ride has its own goal. In family, ride goal doesn’t aim on distance, speed, capability or perfect technique but it stands for having fun with your family and enjoy every moment. It is necessary to ride with a goal and while riding with family your goal must be to have fun with your family and make this bike ride memorable for all. Take a break for a while, so that your children can enjoy the mid-break snacks. Kids feel enthusiastic to participate the next time.
- Fresh Start- Take a good sleep at night and start with fresh vibes and also take good meal before heading out for ride.
- Choose Terrains– Start with your child’s comfort zone, which is flat, smooth, paved and traffic away path and choose a few mile distance. With the passage of time you can increase the distance, amount of traffic and examine unpaved paths.
- Helmet- Bike helmets are compulsory. They should be fit in protected manner and should not hang side to side or back and front. Helmet should be of proper size and shape. Make sure your kid’s chin strap should be properly fitted. Wearing helmet is safe for your children and it protects them from mishappening.
- Height of Saddle- Kids like to have low seats when they are riding for the first time but make sure that their legs make a 6’O clock position so that can get more power while pedaling.
- Clothing- Try to dress your kid in layers because its easy to take off while ride when they feel too hot. Also make them wear thin pants in order to avoid fabric getting stuck in the bike gears.
- Check ABC- Make sure that tires have proper air, the brakes work and the chain should work properly.
- Safe Tools- Keep a small first-aid kit for minor scratches and also have a small puncture kit with yourself to fix flat tire and learn how to fix slipped bike chain.
- Give Instruction In Brief- Remember kids learn better by doing not by listening. So give your kids short instructions and show them how to do because they can learn easily while experiencing.
- Basic Skills- If your child feel uncomfortable on bike try to teach him some basic skills like using hand signals while turning or passing other riders on road.
- Stay Alert- Tell your kids to stop their eyes and ears to stop, look & listen so that they can avoid hazard situations. Also try to sharp their powers by pointing on some interesting things on roads like animals, road sign and trees.
- Give Them A Treat- Include special treats on ride, by stopping for something yummy or bringing something special which they don’t get usually to eat.
If you think that your child is ready to ride in streets, then follow these tips-
- Bikes Are Vehicles- A bicycle is considered as vehicle and you should same obey all the traffic rules and signs that apply to cars and drivers.
- Be Attentive- Always look both sides while crossing the roads and make an eye contact with drivers so that they can see you. Watch out for parked cars doors.
- Be Visible- Wear attractive colors so that you can visible to other people and always give horn while turning or passing others.
- Ride With Flow- Always ride with traffic flow not against and ride in one line.
- Familiarize Your Child With Traffic Rules- This is very important to keep in mind that road rules include hand signals and the position of your bike on the road while turning right or left. Obey traffic rules or signs and also wait and watch the roads while riding and be aware of those humps and cracks on roads.
In modern time, people feel more comfortable with bikes. They started taking bikes in their day to day routine like ride to work or school. Most of the bike riders feel happy and enthusiastic while riding and especially in racing. They often participate in different bike ride events and polish their skills. It’s good to expertise some cycling skills to become an all rounder.
In order to become an expert, as cyclist it is important to be advanced in everything and you should make great efforts to be well rounder. A good training program includes not only psychological development but also helps you to focus on technique. Here are some of the tricks which you can include in you training sessions and become a pro-cyclist.
Power Meters A Lot
Present time power maters a lot. Riders always wanted to reach from one point to another as soon as possible. They are forgetting the ancient pleasure and fun of riding. A very famous word is ‘speed kills’ is totally referred to this situation. If everything is balance in same manners, than yes generally more watts equal to more speed but this is not happen usually. Sometimes while increasing you power you take a lot load because of that your watts increased but not your speed. This is totally to your desire efforts. Remember your main focus is not increase you speed not your watts.
Run Over Full Speed In Short Distance
If you want to be a good rider and win races it’s good to challenge your limits. Challenge yourself beyond your capability. It will definitely increase your chances to win a race. Always remember that sprint is really very important weapon towards races. It means you have run all over full speed in small distance to win races. Even a rider that wins in 60K solo effort had to sprint 60K ago. With this he increases the chances of his wining.
Mix Intensities In Same Workout
If you’re in point where you need to start some high intensity rides. Then mixing all the high intensity workout routine and start practicing is good way to achieve the goal. You can repeat the main set as many times as you please but to its good to complete in a preferred time slot. If your trainer provides you power numbers, be ensure that your power numbers must increases throughout the main repeat sets. In other words, the power outcome of one minute workout must be higher than the two minute workout. Record your power outputs and start working on it for better result. The general idea I to increase you intensity or power, but the format and specifications must be customize for the event the rider is preparing for. The condition in this workout is challenging so you can’t do this on regular basis.
Always keep yourself fresh and give a new start. It means that you should not to do same workouts every day. Change your workout routine every week and try to do in different methods on roads, change your rhythm, change your steps and try to be comfortable being uncomfortable.
Every rider condition is to being differ from one another, be comfortable in difficult situations and try to face every challenge with a big smile on a face. This is the spirit of a true rider.
Cycling skills can be one different level in each field whether its beginner or professional. It’s true once you learn to balance on two wheels while move yourself forward via pedals, wind going through your hairs and heart races with adventure. It’s a skill which is not going to forget quickly. By adopting cycling skills and tips you will not only earn greater appreciation but also improve your riding experience and get a better workout in process. Before you hit road, here are essentials of basic riding skills that everybody should learn and practice.
- Know Your Gears:- Your front gear are used to make the biggest shifts like when you approach a hill and need to get into easy gear fast. You may have two or three chain rings to choose, using small rings provide you easiest turnover on hill. You back gears are the fine-tuners. When you need to make pedaling easy these gears are good to use while riding.
- When Shifting Plan Further:- Watch terrain and look what gear’s you will need in different terrains. When you get to a hill, shift the gears before you reach there. Waiting too along cause’s pressure on chain and making it harder for the bike to shift properly. The best way to familiarize yourself with gears is to practice on different terrains and try to shift both front and back gears to see what they can do for you.
- Learn To Brake:- Rule of braking is to used both brakes equally, if you need to stop suddenly. The front brake provides you more stopping power that’s why you need to avoid use it commonly. If you apply front brake suddenly it will harm you. To brake safely, it’s good to press both brakes until you slow or come to your desire speed. Over gripping the rear brake gives you less stopping power and makes you tire to skid.
- Look Before Turns:- When heading into a turn, always look through the turn where you want to go, rather than into the middle of it. You bike will go where you are looking, so if you looking at the curb’s you are trying to avoid, you will definitely run into it. If you need to slow down going into the corner, brake before the turn rather than in the middle of your turn.
- Lean Your Bike, Not Your Body:- As you head into a turn push the handlebar and take a slightly turn so that your arms straightens a bit. This will automatically lean your bike into the turning position. At the same time keep your body upright and don’t lean your body with bike. Make sure your outside foot is pushing down hard to the pedals. This will ensure that you don’t drag your inside pedal or lean your bike too far.
- Position Yourself For Downhill:- Keep your weight over on saddles for downhill’s. If the falling is so sharp position your butt toward the back of the saddle to keep resistance on your rear wheel. Keep your focus in your front wheel so you can easily change directions and cross obstacles on roads. And also control your speed rather than hitting hard at last time.
- Be Smooth On Pedals:- Always think about turning circles with your pedals rather than pushing them down. This will help you to make your riding more efficient.
- Keep Trying On Different Terrains:- You can easily improve your cycling skills by riding on different roads. It will help you to learn how to cross obstacles like pebbles, which will help when you are riding on roads with traffic or waste.
- Be Alert In Traffic:- Always ride under thought that drivers don’t see you. Slow down at all crossings even if you are in a right way. Right as close to the right side of the road as safety possible, use arms signals, obey all the traffic signs and lights so drivers knows where you are heading too.
- Use Clip-less Tires:- Start using clip-less tires and avoid traditional clips and straps in pedals. It will help you cycling shoe fix on pedals easily. This transfers greatest amount of force from your legs to your pedals, pushing you forward with more power and efficiency.
After knowing the basic skills and tips it’s good know about some bike equipment’s will get you looking and feeling like a professional in no time.
- Bike Frames:- Bikes are usually comes in four materials- aluminum, carbon, titanium and steel. Aluminum is a economical light weight frame on other side carbon is very light and provide you smooth ride but they tend to be very expensive. Titanium is also very pricey but steel is inexpensive but at the same time it’s heavier than other kinds. If you are happy with your old bike stick with it otherwise tries different frame styles and materials before buying.
- Helmet:- A good helmet should fit well and make your head relatively cool. Look for good helmet which is easy to adjust and fit properly.
- Clothing:- Look for comfortable clothes which provide pedaling between you and your bike seat. Use short length shorts rather than to opt for long shorts which troubles your ride. Chose some technical fabric which soak moisture easily.
- Gloves:- Cycling gloves minimize impact and warm to your hands and protect them if you fall. It will provide you complete protection in some cooler conditions.
- Shoes:- Always chose right shoes which fix properly and provide you perfect grip while pedaling.